Gobeil’s Collection of 1,000 Questions™
is the 1,100+ multiple-choice questions that, over the last 20 years, have been used by over 20,000 candidates to successfully prepare for the Canadian Personal Financial Planning Examinations. You may have been told, “Get the 1,000 Questions if you want to pass”.
The questions require you to have an extensive knowledge of all aspects of personal financial planning and apply it to client situations described in multiple-choice questions. You will become familiar with the format of the questions: the simple ABCD and the combination questions. The concepts, definitions, calculations required to answer each question are included and the solutions explain why each answer is right or wrong.
This is the easiest way to review of all of the technical information required for success on this exam. You can be sure that you have updated your technical knowledge of the Income Tax Act and other legislation as the questions are up to date for the current year.
You can choose the Windows PC or Apple MAC version of the 1,000 Questions™.
Scroll down to see further details and sample questions or click here to purchase
Questions by topic
The questions are presented to you by topic.
Income Tax Planning
- Personal Taxation
- Proprietors, Partners & Corps
- Capital Property
- Income Attribution
- Tax Planning
- Difficult Tax Questions
- TVM & Fixed Income
- Common & Preferred Shares
- Analysis, Derivatives & Funds
- Real Estate, LSIFs & TFSAs
- Risk, Returns & Asset Allocation
- Difficult Investment Questions
- OAS & CPP
- RRSPs & RRIFs
- Pension Plans, DPSPs and LIRAs
- Income Tax, Annuities & Strategies
- Difficult Retirement Questions
- Advanced Topics
- Risk Management & Non-Life Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Critical Illness & Long-Term Care
- Advanced Topics
Estate Planning & Family Law
- Family Law
- Wills & Intestacy
- Difficult Estate Questions
- Advanced Topics
Code of Ethics of FP Canada
Financial Planning Practices
What is included in each question?
Each question includes:
- a description of a client situation;
- description of the concepts underlying the situation;
- Questions based upon legislation, such as the Income Tax Act, include references to the legislation. Other questions may refer to interpretations in CRA Publications.
- Ask John:
- If you have no idea as to the answer to a question, you can select “Ask John” and review the concept before answering the question. John is happy to help you make better use of your study time.
- solutions to the questions with calculations;
- The solutions to questions involving calculations include the formulas for the calculation and the values of the various variables.
- solutions to the questions without calculations;
- Solutions to questions not involving calculations are quite extensive with an explanation as to why the correct answer is correct and why the wrong answers are wrong.
Some of our clients tell us that they learned a lot by reviewing all parts of the solution. However, this would be quite time consuming and only make sense if you have lots of time.
Practice exams The Software will randomly select 50 questions and present you with a 1.5-hour exam. The Software marks your answers and shows you the solutions. You can complete any number of practice exams, each based upon a random selection of 50 questions.
The Collection has the following features:
- you learn by doing as the questions require you to apply your knowledge to a client situation, so you learn how to use this knowledge, not just how to memorize definitions;
- each question has a detailed solution, explaining why the correct answer is right, and why the other answers are wrong;
- the distribution of questions by topic area is similar to the distribution of questions on the Examinations;
- the Software keeps track of your score by topic, so you know which subjects you need to work on;
- the Software keeps track of your answers unless you tell it that you want to start over;
- you can repeat the questions over and over again;
- you will require from 3 to 4 hours to complete each 100 questions; and
- the interactive format makes studying more interesting.
Clarifications and corrections Our objective is to offer you the best study aids available for the Examinations. If you want a clarification on some concept, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, identifying the topic and the question number, and describing your concerns.
Windows PC or Apple MAC Software
The Software will run on a PC running Windows 7, 8 or 10; or on a MAC running the latest version of OS X . You install the study aid on your computer. You do not connect to the internet while you are studying.
Up to date
Gobeil’s Collection of 1,000 Questions™ with over 1,100 up-to-date, multiple-choice questions, concepts and detailed solutions will polish your technical knowledge by provide you with a review of all of the technical information required for success on the Examinations. The Collection is a learning tool, as well as a test of your preparation.
The best comment that we ever heard is, “I learned more using the 1,000 Questions than I did taking six courses in the Qualifying Program”.
Gobeil’s Collection of 1,000 Questions™ is a trademark of D. R. Gobeil & Associates Ltd.